Tights deliver a TKO to pantyhose

In the UK, the word “tights” refers to any hosiery covering the lower half of the body, no matter the denier or opacity.  The same is true in France and Italy, where they use the word “collants”, and in Germany, where they use the word “strumpfhose”.  But in the USA, “tights” commonly refers to opaque hosiery.  Once the hosiery denier is lighter and the appearance is much more sheer, they’re called “pantyhose”.

Lillian Bond 1950's

pantyhose vintage

Continue reading